Salary: £22,800 Competitive + Benefits Package
Are you a school or college leaver, or potentially looking for a change of career? If so; then please read on as we may just have the Apprentice role for you…
At Tarmac, ‘who you are’ matters. We want to get to know you. If you share our values and are proud of a job well done, collaborative in working well with others and ambitious to make things better, then have a read of what we have on offer.
Come and join us as an Apprentice Supervisor at Tarmac, based at our Norwich in Norfolk, you’ll get hands on experience in various tasks that will help develop your skills, qualify and allow you to progress within the business, starting a career in operational management and learn the ropes from the ground up!
The role is easily commutable from Norwich, Wymondham, Great Yarmouth, Lowestoft, Sheringham, Thetford, Swaffham, Fakenham, Cromer, Kings Lynn, Downham Market, Beccles, Gillingham, The Broads, Aylesham, North Walsham, Dereham and the surrounding areas.
Here at Tarmac, we are working hard to create a dynamic and inclusive environment and it’s important that our people come from a variety of different backgrounds.
As an Apprentice Supervisor you will be bringing life to various operations and projects! In our business you will work with heavy machinery and play a critical role in the business. You will be a vital part of the team responsible for making sure all the systems in place are efficient and at a high standard. Working in our Contracting teams, you will get exposure to a broad range of supervisory roles and responsibilities. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking to start out a career in operational management and learn the ropes from the ground up. Tarmac, we will make sure your safety is our priority by providing full protective clothing.
Duties may include (not exhaustive):
- Planning and overseeing milling operations for removing old road surfaces, preparing the surface for laying with sweeping & spraying operations and ensuring safety of all supply chain work: Lining, Signs, etc.
- Planning and overseeing health and safety on site / lorry movements / permits, risk assessments etc and building an understanding of how to lead health and safety investigations.
- Linking between the different functions within the business, bringing teams together
- Planning and overseeing laying of materials and material orders. This will include: measuring of roads and the planning of the job, learning how to deal with site hazards, learning how to carry out inductions, briefings and authorisations
- Accurate daily recording of works completed including assessing costs and valuations
- This is a great opportunity to have hand on experience and get involved in the laying of materials process from start to finish. Rest assured we don’t expect you to hit the ground running from day 1– you will initially start out by shadowing a supervisor or project manager
- You’ll have the opportunity to develop your business knowledge and share any best practices you observe. We’ll value you as a fresh pair of eyes to support the site teams in improving quality, processes and production, we want you to build the confidence to challenge, think about new ways of working and help our business to improve!
- You’ll support Managers to manage their teams and functions whilst being involved in operations
- You will play a key role in important projects to help improve the way we work and deliver added value to our clients who you will have interaction with
- You’ll play an important role in driving a positive culture, challenging us when something doesn’t feel right, or where there are opportunities to improve our safety performance
- Taking pride in all work completed and being determined to succeed!
As an Apprentice Supervisor it won’t always be glamorous, you will be working outside in the sun, rain, hot, cold and windy weather, however your safety and health is our number one priority. Your colleagues are there to help and look out for each other, and safety is everyone’s responsibility.
While learning in your day-to-day role, you will complete our Professional Development Programme, giving you a good grounding to start an exciting career in our industry.
Further details of the qualification can be found here:
*Please note you must be able to travel between site and college for this apprenticeship
**Due to the nature of the role, you must be 18 years of age on or before 31st August 2024 to apply for this Apprenticeship
What you will get from us in the role of Apprentice Supervisor
- Your line manager and mentor will give you help and guidance throughout your apprenticeship programme
- Your Operational colleagues, who most of your daily interactions will be with will provide support and knowledge
- Health and Safety Team, always on hand to make sure we are working safely, although safety is everyone’s responsibility!
- Human Resources, here to support the development of your career with Tarmac
- Civil Engineering Senior Technician Level 4 Apprenticeship Qualification
- Core Skills – Whilst you’re learning on the job, you’ll attend our Core Skills Development Programme designed to expand your business knowledge, strengthen core skills and offer networking opportunities with other graduates, higher apprentices and key stakeholders across the Tarmac business in order to successfully transition into your destination role
Our people come from a variety of different backgrounds and prior experience isn’t always necessary for success.
Educational Qualifications required for the role of Apprentice Supervisor:
GCSEs A-C or numbered equivalent (9-4) in both English and Maths
- Safety first mindset
- Practical and hands-on
- Enthusiastic about starting a career in the building materials industry!
- Passionate about working safely
- A team player
- Willingness to learn and develop
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, England
Job Reference: tarmac/TP/112/5137